Author Topic: Riding gear  (Read 2734 times)

• USPMA Member
  • USPMA 03
Riding gear
« on: July 01, 2013, 04:49:40 AM »
Ok since I bought my new bike,it has rained almost everyday.With that I will say I was never one for starting off in the rain....maybe when I was younger and didn't care lol.Now though I bought this and said fuck it and wanted to ride.Here are some observations.Good gear spend the extra money on it.

Some things that years ago I never would have spent money on but now glad I did;A good rain suit.Actualy I have 2 a nicer rubberized one and a set of frogg toggs which by the way have been pretty decent.I recently bought a tour master jacket that I'm really glad I spent the money on.I almost never use my leather the wife bought for Christmas.Now although right now I don't own water proof gloves I use nitrile gloves under mine;if anyone can recommend a good glove I'm all ears.

Boots.....this is a sore point for me as although they may say gortex doesn't me they work so I stopped at a dollar store and picked up a old pair of gollashes but am all ears on these also?

Photog101

• USPMA Member
Re: Riding gear
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 01:21:40 AM »
It sounds like you ride the rain like I do.  Goulashes, good rain suit and I have gone through three sets of Froggies.  However, I just hate leather gloves getting really wet.  I use a set of mechanics work gloves with 9 mil Nitrite (XL) over the work gloves.  I buy both at Harbor Freight. 

A long time ago, I used a Barbour Jacket and Pants, but it was so hot if the rain let up and the sun came out.  I just went back to a really heavy duty Yellow (for visability) rain suit that is used by construction workers.  Talk to construction workers to find out where they get theirs.  OR, go to the guys on the airport that move baggage or work on airplanes.  Someplace I still have a Braniff rain jacket and it has served me well. 

Now for light rain, I use an Australian drovers coat.  Made of oil cloth, has straps on the inside to hold it to your legs while riding.  That stay in the left saddle bag all the time. 

HTH:
Photodoc

Redd

• USPMA Member
  • USPMA # 33
Re: Riding gear
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 09:55:50 AM »
You guys are somting'. I'll ride in cold..no problem. I'll even ride in 115 heat...but I hate..and I mean hate riding wet. I don't own any rain gear...aside from leathers. If I get caught in a downpour I'll duck under a overpass if one's available. For you guys that ride in the rain INTENTIONALLY...my hats off to you.
Ain't nothin' but a thing

sell